Position: Director of Development and Communications
Reports to: CEO
Supervises: Development Coordinator, Grant Writer, Fundraising and Event Consultants
Location: San Francisco, California
Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center (www.rencenter.org) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit working to create sustainable economic development through small business ownership. We deliver critical business training and support services to assist socially and economically diverse women and men starting and expanding microenterprises. Each year, through our four Bay Area Centers and off-site programs, we serve over 1,600 women and men who start and grow over 500 businesses. Our clients reflect the diversity of the Bay Area: 87% are very low- to moderate-income; 76% are women; 74% are people of color.
Renaissance seeks an entrepreneurial Development and Communications Director to join our passionate team and work in all aspects of fund development. The ideal candidate possesses a commitment to our mission, an exceptional level of personal responsibility, and is adept at both conveying our message persuasively to capture financial resources while managing back-office processes to ensure a strong and responsive development department. The Development and Communications Director is responsible for directing and implementing all fundraising activities to secure and grow our organizational budget (currently $3.7M). They are a member of our leadership team and work closely with Renaissance’s CEO and board of directors. Renaissance receives major funding from government, corporate, foundation and individual sources; this colleague will manage and grow these resources while building a more robust individual and major gifts program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with CEO to develop Renaissance’s annual fundraising goals
- Design, implement and manage all fundraising activities to maintain and grow a diversified funding base of individual donors, corporations, foundations and government contracts.
- Develop, write and submit grant proposals, letters of intent and reports for corporations, foundations and government agencies.
- Develop and implement a multi-year fundraising plan.
- Work with Development Coordinator to conduct funder research and support strategic donor cultivation.
- Collaborate with CEO and program staff to manage existing funder relationships and secure additional public funding opportunities.
- Build and manage an individual giving program that cultivates and solicits support at all gift levels, including major gifts.
- Work with development, programs, and finance staff to monitor and report on grant deliverables.
- Create and implement a donor communication and promotional plan, including website content, direct mail campaigns, impact reports and other materials.
- Prepare and present development reports to the board.
- Develop, manage and monitor annual revenue budget with CEO and Finance Director.
- Work with CEO and senior leadership to assess progress against goals, ensure reporting deadlines and deliverables.
- Maintain administrative systems including: development calendar; Salesforce donor database; donor relations and development research.
- Manage gift recording, acknowledgment, tracking and reporting.
- Serve as lead in executing Renaissance’s annual fundraising event; work with event planning consultant; oversee event fundraising; collaborate with program staff to incorporate client businesses into event; manage vendors and coordinate consultants and volunteers.
- Develop and implement fundraising activities, donor cultivation events, and other individual fundraising efforts.
- Work with Development staff and Marketing Manager to promote Renaissance to multiple stakeholders, including donors, general public, through a donor communication and promotional plan, including website content, direct mail campaigns, impact reports and other materials.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of ten years fundraising experience with a proven track record of success in donor cultivation with individuals, corporations, foundations, and government agencies
- Strong level of personal responsibility and results orientation
- Strategic relationship-building skills and ability to work in diverse communities
- Strong storyteller with excellent communication and presentation skills; ability to write clearly, quickly and persuasively
- Ability to motivate and establish relationships with colleagues, board members, direct reports and external audiences to achieve concrete results.
- Ability to prioritize effectively and handle multiple functions and deadlines simultaneously; flexibility, quick-thinking and excellent project management skills
- Availability to represent Renaissance at community events, during day, evening and weekends as needed
- B.A. required, advanced degree a plus
- Spanish language capacity a plus.
Compensation: This full-time, exempt position includes a competitive salary ranging $85,000 – $90,000 based on experience, with benefits that include medical and dental insurance, 401K, paid time off, and holidays.
To apply, please send cover letter describing your passion for Renaissance’s mission with your resume and one-page summary of fundraising highlights to Sharon Miller, CEO, Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center, email@example.com. Please note Development Director in the email subject line. No telephone calls please.
Renaissance believes in the equal dignity and rights of all persons. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity with respect to age, ancestry, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical abilities, race, religion, sexual orientation, and veteran status.
Renaissance considers all qualified applicants for employment and complies with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance in addressing arrest and conviction records in hiring decisions.