Before You Sign That Lease (WBC)
December 6 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Duration: 3 hours
The pre-printed lease form is complex and confusing, and the broker is pressuring you to sign right now – but wait! Before you sign that lease and move in, there are many parts of an office, retail, or other commercial leases that you can and must negotiate with the landlord to increase the odds of success for your business. An experienced business and real estate attorney will help you understand the fine print in typical commercial leases, with emphasis on the lease terms and commercial real estate laws that can help you get through periods of financial difficulty or deal with a non-performing landlord. We will also discuss the process of renewing, amending or modifying your lease during an economic down-cycle. Although taught by an experienced business attorney, this class does not constitute legal advice.
By registering for this program, you acknowledge and agree that:
- This general educational group discussion is not privileged or confidential, and does not constitute a legal consultation or legal advice;
- Your attendance does not establish an attorney-client relationship or obligate The San Francisco Community Business Law Center (the “BLC”) or Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center (“Renaissance”) to provide any ongoing legal services or any follow-up information regarding changes in laws or regulations;
- It will not be possible for the BLC or Renaissance to review or prepare legal documents for you, or to individually advise or represent you regarding any legal matter or legal dispute;
- You are eligible for pro bono legal education and self-help support for local San Francisco Bay Area low-income community microbusiness owners who cannot afford to pay a lawyer; and
- Renaissance and the BLC do not make referrals to for-profit law firms or legal service companies and do not permit any Program participant to solicit or refer to for-profit law firms or legal service companies (or other similar for-profit professional firms).
Funded in part through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration. All opinions, conclusions, or recommendations expressed are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the SBA. All SBA programs or cosponsored programs are extended to the public on a nondiscriminatory basis. Reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities will be made, if requested, at least 2 weeks in advance. Contact: Isla, Isla@rencenter.org, (415) 348-6227register here
- Isla Covarrubias
- (415) 348-6227
October 18 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
October 18 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
October 19 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm