Please note: Due to COVID-19, this class geared for Oakland residents will be offered for free and online via Zoom.
This class will meet for 2.5- 3 hours once a week for 6-weeks.
If you are ready to start a small business or are very new to business, this class is for you! Start Smart is a six-week course where you will learn the basic tools and business fundamentals needed to start-up successfully. You will work with a Business Model Canvas (a visual hands-on tool) to get your ideas down on paper, test, refine and confirm concepts, and adjust your conclusions about customer needs.
- Learn how to define your vision
- Create a mission statement
- Assess your skills, passion and resources
- Craft a business strategy to match your reality
- Test the viability of your products and services
Class Ground Rules
As a Start Smart participant, you agree to:
- Have your camera turned on during all class sessions and be ready to actively participate
- Complete all required readings and submit assignments between classes
- Select ONE business idea for which you will complete all course assignments
- Submit a Business Model Canvas by the last class and conduct a short presentation
*We strongly encourage students to join using a computer to get the best experience. Phones can be utilized if there is no other option available.
Instructor: Dorian Johnson
Please note that we will give priority to residents of Oakland and Alameda County Residents first. We will not allow residents outside of the San Francisco Bay Area counties. Thank you for your understanding.register here