Position: Human Resources Manager
Reports to: Managing Director, HR, Operations and Finance
Location: Renaissance SoMa, San Francisco, CA
Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center seeks an experienced HR Manager to support our team of employees (26 FTE), interns (5-7) and volunteers. From recruiting and onboarding, benefits administration and professional development, to departures and terminations, the HR Manager ensures competent, compliant and quality management of our greatest resource: the people who execute our mission. The ideal teammate brings expertise and functional experience in HR management, is self-motivated, well-organized, professional and discrete, and takes pride in fostering a thriving, positive, diverse organizational culture. They like the diverse and deep scope of HR – from detailed HR administration and record-keeping, benefits management and payroll processing, to supporting individual staff development and fostering our organization’s culture. Renaissance’s HR systems include Filice as our benefits broker and Paylocity as our payroll vendor. Goals for 2021 include implementation of an on-line records retention system and on-line performance management process, refresh of Renaissance’s Employee Handbook, as well as continued improvements in timekeeping administration.
Renaissance (www.rencenter.org) is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit social impact organization. We have been building better communities for 36 years by helping lower income women and men start and grow their own businesses, transforming the lives of their owners and creating sustainable jobs, economic vitality, and vibrant neighborhoods. Renaissance operates four program centers and multiple off-site programs throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Note: During the current coronavirus pandemic, Renaissance is adhering to health and safety social distance protocols; all staff are currently working from home. As protocols are adjusted and the pandemic evolves, this position will be primarily based in San Francisco with frequent on-site visits to meet with staff at other Renaissance sites.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Employee Recruitment, Intake and Exit
- Coordinate full-cycle recruitment process: draft job descriptions; prepare and post open positions; coordinate screening and candidate interview process; conduct background checks and manage recruitment logistics.
- Manage new employee intake, new hire documents, orientation, training and support, and coordinate across departments to ensure new colleagues are set up for success.
- Assist in employee exit processing, unemployment claims, communications with EDD, COBRA/benefits and knowledge transfer to support both Renaissance and employees in transition.
- Manage Benefits administration, including annual open enrollment, new employee enrollment, employee support; manage relationship with benefits broker (Filice), online benefit administration platform (Ease); assess new benefits and new benefit vendors; manage benefits billing.
- Act as first contact for EDD and other legal service and compliance issues including unemployment claims, employee leave/disability programs, wage garnishments.
Payroll and Compensation
- Process bi-monthly payroll thru Paylocity; coordinating with finance colleagues as appropriate
- Manage and track payroll deductions, payroll reports, w2s, etc.
Performance Development and Organizational Culture
- Manage Performance Development Systems: help managers and employees set goals that align with organizational priorities as well as individual employee growth; facilitate review/revision of job descriptions; manage annual evaluation process; implement on-line performance evaluation process.
- Manage employee performance improvement plans and termination process with managers and senior leadership, and in accordance with organizational policy
- Advise and coach management staff in supervisory principles and techniques
- Coordinate activities and explore resources to promote equity and inclusion and to support a trusting, passionate, thoughtful and creative organizational culture; assist in staff training opportunities and other activities to grow staff experience, expertise and opportunity.
Personnel Policies, Legal Compliance and Records Management
- Maintain Employee Personnel Handbook; assist with research and development of organizational HR policies, procedures and processes.
- Create, update and maintain employee files and personnel records, ensuring accuracy and legal compliance. Implement on-line personnel records system
- Provide support to the Managing Director for Finance, Operations and HR and collaborate as a teammate with Renaissance’s Administration and Operations Team.
- Partner with Renaissance staff to determine how volunteers are best utilized to support our mission; create and post appropriate volunteer position descriptions.
- Recruit and screen volunteers, process applications and determine availability and fit.
- Create and execute volunteer orientation and onboarding process and support program staff in incorporating volunteers and optimizing their experience and impact.
- Systematize similar processes for interns throughout the organization and ensure win/win experiences for all.
- B.A. in HR, Organizational Development or Business discipline with five+ years’ experience across a broad range of HR disciplines, including: employee relations, benefits, performance management and recruitment. Experience in program management and volunteer programs is a plus. PHR/SPHR certification is desirable.
- Knowledge of the principles and best practices of human resources management and of federal, state, and local laws, statutes and regulations and compliance.
- Strong analytical skills with an appreciation for detail; enthusiasm for the finance-related issues of HR and collaboration with finance colleagues.
- Professional presence and customer service orientation. Excellent communication skills and ability to respond to manager, employees, and applicants calmly and with confidentiality.
- Experience with HR/Payroll/Benefits software systems required; Paylocity/Filice a plus.
- Strong technical competency and enthusiasm for technology tools that support clarity and efficiency in HR and organization-wide
- Experience in Employee Relations; conflict management, (diversity) race and equity
- Can-do, problem-solving orientation; good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong ability to prioritize, manage projects, work autonomously as well as across teams
- Compassion, clarity and confidentiality with respect to employee concerns, organizational culture, staff development and teambuilding.
- High-energy and enthusiasm in joining a diverse team; ability to build trust and goodwill, and a strong commitment to fostering a workplace culture grounded in the values of racial equity, inclusion and justice
- Ability to travel and participate in departmental meetings, providing customer service to staff at all locations
Salary and Benefits: This is a full-time, exempt position. Competitive salary ($75-$80K based on experience) with generous benefits that include medical, dental, vision insurance, 401K, paid time off, holidays, a wonderful mission and fantastic colleagues!
Application Process: Please send cover letter, resume, and summary list of major HR- and/or Organizational Development initiatives you have experienced to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting “HR Manager” as the subject line of your email. No personal inquiries please.
Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity with respect to age, ancestry, color, creed, gender, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status and physical abilities.
Renaissance considers all qualified applicants for employment and complies with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance in addressing arrest and conviction records in hiring decisions.