Position: Human Resources Manager
Reports to: Managing Director
Location: Renaissance SoMa, San Francisco, CA
Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center (www.rencenter.org) seeks an experienced professional HR Manager to support our team of employees (26 FTE), interns (5-7) and volunteers. From recruiting and onboarding, benefits administration and professional development, to departures and terminations, the HR Manager will ensure competent, compliant and quality management of our greatest resource: the people who execute our mission. The ideal teammate brings expertise and functional experience in HR management, is self-motivated, well-organized, professional and discrete, and takes pride in fostering a thriving, positive, diverse organizational culture. S/he maintains momentum and accuracy on numerous HR systems while all exploring new approaches to effect continual improvements and efficiencies in our organization.
In Q4 2018, Renaissance initiated a transition Paylocity Payroll Systems and Filice Insurance Agency, in order to increase efficiency in our HR systems. This transition is still in process and the systems are not yet synced. As the primary administrator for all payroll and HR systems, our new colleague will prioritize the remaining steps to execute this important organizational system.
Renaissance is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit social impact organization. We have been building better communities for 34 years by helping lower income women and men start and grow their own businesses, transforming the lives of their owners and creating sustainable jobs, economic vitality, and vibrant neighborhoods. Renaissance operates four program centers and multiple off-site programs throughout the San Francisco Bay Area; this position will be based out of Renaissance’s South of Market Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Employee Recruitment, Intake and Exit
- Coordinate full-cycle recruitment process: draft job descriptions; prepare and post open positions; coordinate screening and candidate interview process; conduct background checks and manage recruitment logistics.
- Manage new employee intake, new hire documents, orientation, training and support, and coordinate with facilities and operations to ensure new colleagues are set up for success.
- Assist in employee exit processing, unemployment claims, communications with EDD, COBRA/benefits and knowledge transfer to support both Renaissance and employees in transition.
- Act as point of contact for Filice Insurance and benefit vendors. Manage enrollments and changes in status, monitor benefit billing, and other logistics.
- Support staff in understanding and optimizing their benefits as Renaissance employees.
- First contact for EDD and other legal service issues affecting payroll and benefits including unemployment claims, employee leave/disability programs, wage garnishments.
Payroll and Compensation
- Process bi-monthly payroll thru Paylocity; coordinating with Finance colleagues as appropriate
- Manage and track payroll deductions, payroll reports, w2s, etc.
Performance Development and Organizational Culture
- Assist in creating staff training opportunities and other activities to grow staff experience, expertise and opportunity.
- Assist in maintaining salary structure; facilitate review/revision of job descriptions to ensure competitive pay and equity; coordinate performance development processes.
- Coordinate activities and explore resources to support a trusting, passionate, thoughtful and creative organizational culture.
Personnel Policies, Legal Compliance and Records Management
- Maintain Employee Personnel Handbook; assist with research and development of organizational HR policies, procedures and processes.
- Create, update and maintain employee files and personnel records, ensuring accuracy and legal compliance.
- Provide support to the Managing Director for Finance, Operations and HR and collaborate as a teammate with Renaissance’s Administration and Operations Team.
- Volunteer Program – Work with staff at all sites to design, implement and oversee an organization-wide volunteer program.
- Partner with Renaissance staff to determine how volunteers could best be utilized to support our mission; create and post appropriate volunteer position descriptions.
- Recruit and screen volunteers, process applications and determine availability and fit.
- Create and execute volunteer orientation and onboarding process and support program staff in incorporating volunteers and optimizing their experience and impact.
- Systematize similar processes for interns throughout the organization and ensure win/win experiences for all.
- B.A. in HR, Organizational Development or Business discipline with five+ years’ experience across a broad range of HR disciplines including employee relations, benefits, performance management and recruitment. Experience in program management and volunteer programs is a plus.
- Knowledge of the principles and best practices of human resources management and of federal, state, and local laws, statutes and regulations and compliance.
- Strong analytical and skills with a passion for detail and accuracy and capacity to work with Finance and finance-related issues of HR.
- Professional presence and customer service orientation. Excellent communication skills and ability to respond to inquiries from management, employees, and applicants calmly and with confidentiality.
- Experience with HR/Payroll/Benefits software systems required; Paylocity/Filice a plus.
- Can-do, problem-solving orientation; good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Compassion, clarity and confidentiality with respect to employee concerns, organizational culture, staff development and teambuilding.
- Passion for economic development and economic justice; high-energy and enthusiasm in joining a diverse team.
Salary and Benefits: This full-time, exempt position includes competitive pay based on experience, benefits that include medical and dental insurance, 401K, paid time off, holidays. ** Renaissance is amenable to candidates seeking a part-time opportunity, DOE and availability.
Application Process: Please send cover letter and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting “HR Manager” as the subject line of your email. No telephone calls or personal inquiries please.
Renaissance Entrepreneurship Center is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity with respect to age, ancestry, color, creed, gender, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status and physical abilities.
Renaissance considers all qualified applicants for employment and complies with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance in addressing arrest and conviction records in hiring decisions.